Approximately 1947 or early 1948 Vincent Schmidt, along with the help of Ralph and Albert Jutte, built a grocery store in Macedon, Ohio. The building stood east of the house at #1360 in Macedon. Remember when the gas pumps stood in front of the grocery stores? Who owned that Ford in Macedon? It is Vincent’s car.
1951 - Vince Schmidt sold the store to Bill Dock.
1952-1953 – Bill sold the store to Bud (LaMar) Tekamp, Ray Tekamp and Aloysius Tekamp. Bud recruited the help of Lowell Hassan to move the building to Coldwater. As a child, Larry Axe, a nephew of Lowell Hassan and Howard Axe, remembers seeing the store travel down the road being pulled by three tractors. According to Lowell, it was quite a job. The Macedon store building was moved to its present location at 490 South Second street. Leroy Kessen lived across the street and remembers the vacated lot as a used car lot run by Homer Simpson and Rudy Buschor.
1953-1954 - at Coldwater, Rip and Ellie Steele operated the business as an ice cream parlor. Cars could drive in and trays would be taken to them. Leroy Kessen’s mother worked there.
1959-1960 - Sockie Wehrkamp purchased the store from
Bud Tekamp and called it "Sockies". Pete Schaefer worked as a bartender for Sockie. Mrs. Paul Bettinger, Angie, is Sockies’ daughter who helped out over lunch hour at the restaurant.
1967 – Gary Tekamp purchased the business and named
it Village Inn.
1972 – Skip Tekamp was the new owner. Skip had a bar
in the basement and made pizzas down there called "Skipper T’s". He sold them to local stores.
1974(?) – John Yaney purchased the business and
changed the name to South Side Inn.
1975 – Mike Schilling purchased the business
from John Yaney and owned it for two or three years. Mike tore out the inside and made it into a restaurant upstairs.
1978 – Mike sold the business to John Kessen, Jim
Boeckman, and Ken Woeste. Jim Boeckman sold his portion to Dale Buschur. After approximately 8 years Ken sold his portion of the partnership to Ted Evers.
This partnership added a new extension to the kitchen and the drive-thru carry out to the west end of the building in 1983. John managed the bar, Ted managed the kitchen
and Dale managed the drive-thru for about one and a half years. In 1980 it was at this location that the MD tournament was born. It is still raising money for a Muscular Dystrophy cure. Which is now the world’s largest MDA Softball Tournament.
Nov. 1984 - At that time Dale and John sold their partnership to Ted Evers making him the sole proprietor.
Feb. 1996 – Jeff Stanley and his brother and wife, Tim and Dorothy Stanley, purchased the business. Tim passed away shortly after.Jeff and Dorothy ran the business as a restaurant, sports bar, and drive-thru carry out.
Aug. 2009 - Chris and Rose Post, along with their four boys, Bryan, Kyle, Jared and Chris (Petey) purchased the business. After a face lift they opened the doors in November and named it Southside. With a cherry red 1955 Harley Davidson Panhead parked in the dining room
the style is nostalgia… old Harley Davidson, Coldwater history, New Idea history, local sports and heroes.
Southside remains to have the television show "Cheers" atmosphere where everyone knows your name. It features
its long-time famous 21oz. frosted "fishbowl" of domestic or imported